I dreamt last night of a hurricane, but I was in the house I lived in when I was 13 years old in Elmore, Minn. I was herding people into the basement, we were packing up food, I stole a sandwich and wrapped it in foil and tucked it into my shirt. And suddenly I realized: we're overreacting. It won't be that bad. Then I lost my sandwich and went out into the rain.
Dreaming of a hurricane: This dream is considered to be a warning, because it alludes to an impending crisis when all old opinions, ideals, values and beliefs are being shaken. The dream suggests that you need to start shaping something new within yourself to cope with this personal crisis. (http://www.dream-land.info/)I wrote for 5 hours on Friday, mostly straight through, with breaks for tea. At the end of it, 10 pages of Microsoft Word single-spaced madness, I felt like something other than human. Here is one piece:
I am very deep now. It is a dream and I am being chased, I am in danger, and I can’t cry out. I open my mouth and strain with every muscle in my chest and neck, but still no sound. I am pursued and still no sound. I keep pushing until *pop* I am awake and tangled in sweaty sheets and screaming in an empty black room, screaming alone, screaming for someone to save me.
Any writing, anything real, even anything shallow, means you must confront the blackest parts of humanity. This is art: even the most beautiful work has the deepest evil of the world in it. They exist together, as one. All it is the lighting. See: look behind the bushes in the sparkling sunlight and there a spider is consuming its prey alive, slowly, deliberately. Listen: ten bars after the song ends, there is war and death. You know they’re coming. Don’t look away. I know you want to and so do I – but there is nowhere else to look.
The feeling is this: much writing and suddenly I am in a very dark state. I am thinking too much, too hard about evil in the world and evil in myself. I am swimming in circles, swimming in the thoughts and as I type I feel my face scrunch up in fear and disgust, my nose wrinkles, my eyes shut. And so I pause for a moment, take a breath, make some tea. When I sit back down and raise my fingers to the keys, the feeling is pure revulsion. I don’t want to go back in it, I don’t want to go deeper and I don’t want to find more. It is too heavy and hot and dark inside – I want to stay out in the clean air. I wonder sometimes if this is me or if this is the writing.At the end of 10 pages and 5 hours, I wrote the following:
I don’t want to write anymore. Only 30 more minutes. I hate it. I hate writing. I hate these words and my fingers that are typing them. I hate this brain that thinks writing is good and I hate the dull fluorescent lights and the computer humming and the hot sunlight blasting in through my window. 30 minutes. I can do it I can do it I can do it blankblankblankblankblankblankblankblankblankblankbBut there is still this: "Every day, I give myself the same encouragement, and every day, I need it again."
***
I read back through some of last week's writing today. Yes, some of it is dark. Ok, a lot of it. Yes, I need to get it out of my brain and onto the page. But I also need to come back out of it and remember the beautiful moments that make up my days.
For example, today:
-I walked briskly to work this morning and was not too hot, not too cold. Amazing fall, I love you.
-At work I made an individual cup of coffee with my brand-new, bright-red, individual-coffee-cup-maker. Awesome and happy.
-I sat at my desk in the afternoon and thought in my brain, Man-oh-man I wish I had a snack. Not 30 seconds later, my co-worker walked in with a bag of cheesy-popcorn she didn't want. Do you want the popcorn? Yes.
-Still hungry this afternoon, I thought about pie and realized that my life's purpose might honestly be: Make pie. Or: Eat butter. It's a tough one. I resolved to make more pies and eat more butter.
-I finally have money (so to speak) to go grocery shopping. So I made a grocery list tonight that included more than: peanut butter, can of beans. It included: expensive olives, expensive cheese. Cool.
-After a leisurely walk home, I enjoyed a hot boozy apple cider and a roasted tomato, caramelized onion, balsamic quinoa salad for dinner alone in my quiet apartment.
-Then I watched the moonrise in Medford through some haze and low clouds. Over the scary wires and oversized spotlit American flag and above the din of cats fighting. But it was beautiful.
The point is just that life is good. There is always good love, good people, good food -- and for that I am grateful.
No comments:
Post a Comment