Things are going well in my part of the world. There’s lots of happiness and goodness and inspiration in my life. Sometimes life can be dreary and bleak, for everyone, so when it feels otherwise, I think it’s worth saying out loud.
I can’t remember if I’ve mentioned it before, but my favorite blog in the entire world is this one. It isn’t a fancy graphics, lots of pictures and cool design blog. It’s just writing about life and food and I adore it. I take it she’s been in the trenches with other writing projects, because there haven’t been any posts almost since Christmas. But a new post went up today and here’s what I remembered: I am a writer.
Her words give me a sense of connection and joie de vivre that immediately inspires me to live bigger, to cook, to do things I love, and to write. I read the posts like I’m starved and devouring a meal. I literally feel brain/emotion-hungry for writing like that. And of course, the real test: every time I read one of her posts, I immediately wish that I had written it myself. That's how you really know what you're meant to do.
Yesterday, Jacob and I celebrated the fact that two years ago, we went on a date for coffee at the Chocolate Sparrow and it stuck. (We sat at that table right at the bottom of the screen!) We celebrated by eating nachos in a loud bar, half watching the State of the Union and musing over why Joe Biden always looks like he’s thinking hell, yeah! in his head. We talked about where we would be sitting two years from now and how we never expected to be here.
Yesterday, I took the long way home from work, walking from Eastern Market because it was warm outside. I toured the maze of streets carrying a paper bag filled with olive oil, soy yogurt, and dates.
Yesterday, I finished a book because I’ve been riding the bus to work these days which gives me extra reading time. I miss having my commute count as exercise, but I love the small space a commute on public transportation gives you. You can read, or listen to music, or watch people, or do nothing. It’s pure creative energy time - you have no choice. Exercise is good for me, but so is reading. By the way, the book was The Storytelling Animal and it’s worth reading if you’re interested in why narratives are important.
And today....today I felt my life and awareness sizzle with details and depth and humanity. I’m grateful for that feeling.
No comments:
Post a Comment