Friday, May 24, 2013

the way of things.

It has been a wide-and-round one month since I last wrote here. Technically one month and two days. When I looked at the calendar, suddenly I was struck with the realization that if I don’t get these fingers a-typing, May will have slipped by completely. Since I began this blog, I have ridden the tides of much and little to say, but I haven’t yet let an entire month pass in silence. It was a close call this time.

My world is saturated in the emotion of the day. Everyone experiences this saturation, I think. On a bad day, everything is a little grim. On a good day, everyone seems a little generous. It is only the color of our perspective that changes. Regardless, when my eyes gloss over with overwhelming and fearful things in life, when the way of things is suddenly changed, when I am squinting down an unfamiliar path and no one is telling me what to do next, well - those times the world shrinks small and there seems to be nothing to say.

I was driving across town late last night to pick Jacob up after rehearsal, driving to a part of the city I rarely go, and I debated which route would be fastest. I settled on Florida Ave. It was late, as I said, and I was tired, and the streets just seemed to be brimming with drunk people, stumbling in the street, and vacant faces, and certainly people who wanted to harm me. In short, the world seemed cold and dark and I wished I wasn’t out in it. When I found Jacob waiting on the corner, he climbed into the car and I burst out with, Sometimes I just hate living in the city!

This morning, I read this post on a local DC blog. It is an entirely different perspective on that same stretch of road I drove last night, the very place I was cringing from the seat of my car.

I’m always summing things up and preaching the moral of the story, but tonight I will just leave you with that. I will let you color the words with your own perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment