Last month I powered through some very long work weeks, a major work event, two weekend trips, my re-entrance into bike commuting, and last but not least, a spontaneous move. Jacob and I found an apartment that is a) on a park, b) cheaper than our current place, and c) not a basement. For the last two years, we’ve been living DC-style in an English basement apartment. It’s cozy and it’s been a good home to us, but there are no windows and…...there are no windows. We couldn’t pass on the chance for cheaper rent + windows, even if it meant moving at literally the busiest work time for both of us.
Our basement apartment came furnished, which means we’ve been on the market for most things. It’s turned into a joint late night craigslist addiction, which is tiresome, but also thrilling when you manage to nab an awesome wood dresser for $30 (among other things).
After moving the last of the boxes and running one million errands last weekend, it’s done. Everything’s been unpacked or temporarily hidden from sight, so now I can chip away little by little at a) finding places for everything b) buying a few more pieces of furniture and c) getting some stuff up on these soaring white walls. I’m scratching odds and ends off my list and making lists on top of lists, because that’s how I do.
More than once, I’ve written here about feeling antsy. Having the ants in my brain. Feeling like I can’t sit still, like there are other things so many things that I want to be doing. I know that feeling is often brought on by failing to write for too long. Which is often brought on my stress and distraction. But that feeling also comes from reading and seeing and hearing things that inspire me and give me I-wish-I-had-done-that thoughts. In order to calm down some of the antsy turmoil, lists, always:
things I’ve been thinking about.
- thoughtfully chosen food and reevaluating my choices around animal products (again)
- life cultivation
- home cultivation
- growing plants (tending some potted tomatoes, peppers, flowers, and a mess of herbs - my first solo venture into gardening. they’re happily living on our new fire escape.)
- biking gear !!! (on the hunt for a new bag)
- finding my tribe (always)
- popsicles (the heat is here in swamp-land, and our new freezer has room for my popsicle mold. tonight = coconut milk, lime juice and basil pops. get it.)
- investing in art (Jacob and I have been making plans)
- budgeting (we’ve made some valiant attempts, but car troubles and MOVING have sabotaged us)
things I’ve been inspired by.
- This new-to-me blog is wonderful and I completely blew through the archives last month.
- This little book was a nice read on the plane to/from Boston last weekend, and a good kick in the pants after a month of questionable wellness and lifestyle choices.
- This blog makes good choices so easy and appealing. The brownie batter blizzard has been in regular rotation for the last month.
- This excellent read on minimalism.
As I ease out of my moving-induced takeout bender, it feels good to be back in my (new) (tiny) kitchen. It’s looking like scrambled eggs with tomatoes and my basil, this crazy good creamy vegan pasta, beans and rice with my cilantro, toast made sans toaster (we’re venturing into life without a toaster or a microwave - so far, not bad), and lots of smoothies and shandy because hot damn, this apartment is warm.
And so: the summer is here, the years fly by, let’s be intrepid.
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment