Tuesday, February 3, 2015

on the horizon.

Tonight, I’m thinking about:
-the smell of roasting potatoes, in hot oil, in the oven
-how early I can reasonably “get in bed to read” (i.e. fall asleep)
-whether or not it would be weird/creepy to wear a ski mask at home to keep my nose warm

But mostly, I’m thinking about the potatoes. I tried to write for half an hour, hungry, while the potatoes roasted in the oven. I managed to write a random string of words with “potatoes” inserted every so often. Sometimes an evening needs to be simple and sometimes a comfort as simple as roasted potatoes can consume you.

I’m reading essays lately, and I generally love or hate them - I don’t often feel indifferent. I’ve read a handful that I loved, and two or three (including this one) that I’m still thinking about hours/days after reading. That helps me remember what writing can do.

J and I saw a play on Sunday night, mostly because we had free tickets, even though we were both tired from a weekend of travelling. When we walked in and I realized that the show was three hours long, I almost bailed. I’m so glad I didn’t. It was riveting and so well done that I’m still turning it over in my head.

We spent the weekend in the mountains, or near to them, and it felt good. I’m an ocean person forever, but I still love to breathe mountain air sometimes. A group of us tried to find a trail that was supposedly near a mountain lake, and after an anxiety-filled drive down a winding, icy road, we found…...no trail. But we did get a moment of beauty at the foot of the lakeshore.

And soon we’re leaving the country, just for a week, but on a real vacation, planned just for us. And then spring will be coming - flowers, sun, and change on the horizon.

No comments:

Post a Comment