I’m testing out this idea of a “holy hour” that I learned about here, but I guess it originally comes from Robin Sharma, a self-help/productivity guy that I know nothing about. But being who I am, I love schedules, routines, and personal challenges. The last few days I’ve only managed a holy fifteen minutes, but this morning I’m pulling off forty-five, which feels like I’m on the right track.
The idea, at least as far as I see it, is to divvy up that hour between exercise, learning, and writing about goals. I’ve been doing it between stretching, reading a book, and writing about anything I want. It’s a mini creative/personal growth day embedded in the normal routine of the day. I like it.
I really petered out on my original challenge this year of reading a chapter of Writing Down the Bones every day, and then writing from it. I’m about halfway through. All it comes down to is momentum - when we went on vacation, I let it slip, and I lost the months of winding up.
It is disturbingly similar to the feeling of not wanting to run. I paced around the house for nearly half an hour after work last night, debating whether I was going to run: do I feel like it? do I have time? is there anything else I need to do? etc. etc. It’s all brain games and monkey mind. Somewhere in Writing Down the Bones (or probably in many places), Goldberg says to let your brain continue with whatever wacky thing its doing, but tell your body to keep going through to the physical action. Pick up the pen and notebook, sit down, start scratching the pen across the surface. It’s a physical act, just like putting on running clothes, finding my headphones, walking out the door. Tell your body go and then let it go.
There’s the bell, friends. Its time to make breakfast and pack my bag and get on with the other day. But this is good, isn't it?
No comments:
Post a Comment