Sunday, December 13, 2015

brain-knots

Yesterday we drove down to Pilsen to visit the National Museum of Mexican Art. It’s a lovely little museum (and one of the few free ones here). I’m still thinking about this exhibit and the Mexican Repatriation in the 1930’s, which I actually knew very little about. It’s a good time to learn.

Injustices like that, even things that happened long before my time, drag me pretty low. I can’t stop thinking about it. I always say that I’m meant to work on small causes and at small organizations because I do much better focused on my own piece of the world - what I can do right here and now. Otherwise I tie my brain into knots thinking about how systems got the way they are and how we can make them change. But Jacob says that my brain-knots are a good thing. Maybe they’ll lead me somewhere important one day.

It’s strangely warm out, and I’m flip-flopping between feeling very ambitious and very lazy. I went for a run, so that's good. The final paper due on Tuesday is looming and triggering some strong procrastination urges. I’m also thinking about a big bag of chocolate chips on the shelf and what I could make out of them right now. Actually, I'm wishing someone else would make and deliver some of these (right now).

Otherwise, my wacky and unpredictable life goes on. This has been a strange year full of surprises. It’s a good life. December is nearly half through, so I’m setting a small handful of goals for the new year, like I usually do. No more than 2 or 3. I’m trying to focus on things that do and will make me feel more like me. And I’m getting ready to wrap up this year in a blaze of writing, I hope, not least of all here.

No comments:

Post a Comment