Saturday, September 17, 2016

happy clam.

I’m taking this Saturday morning real slow. I have a bit of a head cold, but also it just feels nice to let my brain wander, to flit aimlessly from one task to the next, avoiding the to do list. I’m on my second cup of coffee and an empty stomach. I'm about to go eat some cold pizza from the fridge.

I have no obligations today--my favorite sort of day. I can work on whatever I want, in perfect solitude and silence. This is the sort of day that revives me, helps me feel like myself again.

This has been a good year, and my birthday is approaching, and I’m thinking about it a lot. I’m thinking about what I accomplished this year and what I’ll accomplish in the year to come. It was a good year and a challenging year. I worked very very hard. At times (many times), I felt an unmanageable amount of stress. But also, I married the best and most inspiring person I know. I took off from work and life for a MONTH and traveled my butt around Europe.

I spent 30 minutes this morning reading through some of the archives here (especially 2011 and 2014). I love the way that this space helps me track my own evolution of thought and personal growth. It’s like a journal, but in a completely different way. It makes me love myself. Is that strange to say? I read old entries, and I tell myself: you’re smart and interesting, Lisa, and I like who you are.

It’s not that hip to like yourself, especially as a woman. The thing to do is reject any compliments and then draw attention to some part of your body that you dislike. It’s such a fucking bummer. Ladies, can we not do that anymore? I really prefer loving myself.

So this place matters for that reason, even if that’s the only one.

Today, I’m going to:
--do some cleaning
--make a load of burritos to restock the freezer
--do some sewing (because: birthday list)

That’s all, and it’s good. I’m happy as a happy clam.

No comments:

Post a Comment