Wednesday, September 26, 2012

another one.

I turned 27 this past weekend. Some while ago, I picked up the habit of setting resolutions on my birthday, one for each year. A bit cheesy, perhaps, but I like it. I like to think about what I will do with my next year of living. 

The wonderful thing about this blog, which has been kicking around for more than a year now, is that I have a record of what I resolved to do last year. I like a list that mixes tangible resolutions with broader goals for living. And I like a list that mixes very small tasks with very large ones. It makes it less easy to measure when some have been done, but I think I've written here before about my philosophy on goals and resolutions. I love them for their way of making me consider my priorities and strive towards new things. I don't mind if they're not all checked off in a row. I just think it's lovely to think about all the things I could do, all the things I have done, and all things I still want to do. But anyway, I ramble on.

from September 22, 2011
1-knit a sweater
2-make cheese
3-go camping
4-conquer the F-chord on my guitar
5-run a 5K
6-be more honest
7-love
8-start cooking dried beans
9-make one new friend
10-write more letters
11-drink more loose leaf tea
12-open up to people
13-read one new author from the list of nobel laureates
14-visit Canada
15-start making my own bread again
16-less dairy
17-buy clothes with color
18-write often
19-tell jokes
20-make pizza in my cast iron skillet
21-apologize less
22-sew curtains
23-ride my bike in the city
24-bake a layer cake
25-paint the big canvas
26-yoga

As you may guess, I've been dwelling over what 27 things I want to do this year. And so, what do I want to do with my 27th year on this planet? Live empowered.

1-find a writing group
2-run a 10K
3-do yoga once a week
4-loosen my grip (metaphorically)
5-send at least one letter per month
6-make one new friend
7-share food with others
8-make almond milk
9-take one creative class (other than writing)
10-practice self-affirmation
11-tell people I love them
12-smile at strangers
13-dream wildly
14-go on inspiration adventures (big and small)
15-save money
16-release any passive-aggressiveness
17-establish a writing goal and ritual: either by word count or time
18-master meringues
19-believe in myself
20-listen carefully to others
21-make more pies
22-find a place to volunteer
23-finish writing an essay and do something with it
24-buy one pair of lady shoes and one fancy lady dress and wear them
25-begin mixed-media journaling
26-take a bike trip and camp along the way
27-live and feel with intention

1 comment:

  1. re: #8

    http://joythebaker.com/2012/01/spiced-almond-steamer/

    ReplyDelete