Tuesday, October 17, 2017

once a year.

Where do I begin? Poor neglected blog. My writing has wound itself in so many directions, and somehow this spot didn’t feel as necessary any more. I’ve allowed myself some single-minded focus, much needed I think, but here is the consequence. Saying yes to some things (whole-heartedly!) means saying no to others, inevitably.

Nearly a month ago now my birthday came. It was a simple day, which suits me. Jacob and I wandered around nearby Andersonville for most of the day. It was hot, so we ducked in and out of shops and drank iced coffee and shared a sandwich. We got dinner that night at Band of Bohemia where I tasted each and every beer. It was perfect as far as I can tell.

And now, without further ado, the birthday list. I wrote the first one in 2011, and I haven’t looked back since. I adore the chance to pause and think about the next year of my life, to look back on the one I’ve just finished and what I’ve accomplished. Last year, I attempted to live adventurously, and I think I did well. As always, I never mean to cross everything off, but to try my best and to live live live.
  1. train for a marathon
  2. go to Ireland for a week
  3. take a summer road trip on/to the west coast (postponed for a year)
  4. find some place to hang out with lady bicyclists
  5. take an Alexander Technique class (lost interest in this, but I’m fine with that)
  6. lift some weights and run some miles every week
  7. eat enough protein
  8. bake one pie each month (forgot! baked one, maybe two pies all year- will do better this year)
  9. think about grad school (thought about and dismissed for the moment)
  10. make something out of LCP
  11. go apple picking
  12. phase out all beauty and cleaning products that have toxic ingredients (getting closer!)
  13. start volunteering again
  14. take an adventurous art class at Lillstreet
  15. take myself on an Artist Date every week
  16. read more fiction
  17. be confident
  18. stop trying to always be in control
  19. get a dog (postponed, but not forever)
  20. plan a trip to a continent I’ve never been to
  21. plan a solo weekend trip
  22. double our emergency savings
  23. make homemade holiday gifts
  24. stick to the eating out budget (very very close - close enough I say)
  25. try out watercolor painting
  26. allow for small luxuries (without guilt)
  27. be intentional with my time and money
  28. meditate
  29. learn Spanish
  30. get a short(er) haircut
  31. host a nacho party
For this 32nd year, I’m aiming to challenge myself. I just heard someone recently talking about how anything worth having or doing in life involves some challenge, discomfort, pain. Embrace it, they said.
  1. have an unplugged day each month
  2. research tiny homes
  3. get a tattoo
  4. write every day
  5. keep a recipe journal
  6. create a map project
  7. write more letters
  8. be intentional about relationship building (of all kinds)
  9. ride my bike to new places
  10. go on a cross-country bike trip
  11. get better at making healthy snacks
  12. read voraciously
  13. sew floor cushions for the living room
  14. say yes to social situations
  15. be more open & transparent
  16. keep a writing ideas journal
  17. buy only used or sustainably-made clothing
  18. grow our net worth
  19. ferment something
  20. bike to Wisconsin
  21. run another race (of any distance)
  22. do things purely for joy
  23. let others control their own lives
  24. make new friends
  25. try a group bike ride
  26. analyze decisions less (esp. small ones)
  27. eat more legumes
  28. get good at push-ups
  29. get a midnight meal at a diner
  30. cook through Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking
  31. re-read my old notebooks
  32. run a marathon
Past years: 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment