Tuesday, September 23, 2014

and this.

It's really strange to think that this is my third birthday in this city. I've belonged to this place, but not in the same way that I've belonged to other places. It's also strange to be facing the last year of my twenties. Life feels full, and hopeful, and exciting. I'm not sure that I ever imagined what my life would be like at this age. But if I had imagined something, I'm doubtful that it looked like this. I'm not sorry. I wouldn't change a single of the unexpected chain of events that brought me here.

And now, here's what last year looked like:

1-strength train regularly (even though I quit the gym, which was the best.decision.ever)
2-read at least one book in a day (a marathon reading session)
3-start buying ethically made investment clothing
4-become informed on the production of chocolate and coffee
5-watch one documentary each month
6-blog regularly (and define what that means for me) (like I do every year)
7-knit a sweater (just do it!)
8-take a spin class
9-stop nitpicking, nagging, and expecting perfection from others
10-cut back on TV
11-go on urban hikes
12-run a half marathon
13-send birthday cards
14-write some fiction
15-make handmade gifts
16-go to book readings and other literary events in my city
17-call people more often
18-make one writer friend
19-go camping in Shenandoah National Park
20-submit one essay somewhere anywhere
21-re-conquer my fear of city biking (on my new bike)
22-learn to use our fancy camera and start taking pictures
23-buy more local produce via the farmer’s market or a CSA
24-use less plastic (especially: produce bags, ziploc bags, and saran wrap)
25-practice positive self-talk
26-eliminate most/all bad chemicals that I put on my body
27-take a real vacation/trip somewhere with Jake (other than visiting family)
28-put compassion and love into the world

And this year? It's looking promising, exciting, strong.

1-run another half marathon
2-plan personal, creative projects
3-fill a notebook
4-streamline and actually implement workflow processing *productivity nerd alert*
5-start making homemade snacks every week
6-grocery shopping → bike (with some spankin’ new panniers!)
7-participate in one bike activity (volunteer, hang out, ride, class, etc.)
8-plan a spring-time adventure trip with Jacob (maybe probably here?)
9-stop comparing myself to everyone else
10-read more fiction (goal: five novels)
11-build a bike-friendly (minimalist) wardrobe
12-more cooking on the weekends/less cooking on weekdays
13-make at least one pie each month
14-can something (jam, tomatoes, apples, etc.)
15-continue buying investment clothing
16-watch a few classic films (that I haven’t seen)
17-complain less
18-grow more plants (to eat & to enjoy)
19-sew or knit ONE THING to put on my body
20-give natural deodorant the college try
21-write letter(s) one day each month (just one!)
22-create a meal-planning system and stick to it (this is my current inspiration)
23-BE DEBT-FREE
24-make this other blog into a thing I like/love/enjoy
25-sew a set of cloth napkins + a tablecloth
26-really really really get rid of plastic ziplock bags (and plastic takeout containers)
27-listen to one book on tape
28-be kinder to + less critical of everyone around me (esp. the ones that I love)
29-be confident

*If you're curious, I also made birthday lists in 2011, 2012 and 2013.

1 comment:

  1. Happy birthday, Lisa! I hope this year is a great one.

    I know it's from last year's list, but if you ever want to go to an author event or any other literary-type thing in DC, I'd love to go with you. I go to a few readings a year (at Politics and Prose and elsewhere) and I'm sure Jeremy would love to not have to come along as my date. He puts on a happy face, but I know he's not having fun.

    I also have a sewing machine, so if you want to come over to make cloth napkins and/or a tablecloth, you're more than welcome to come over to my place for that. It sounds like fun!

    I also wanted to say that I admire your discipline, especially when it comes to your writing. I'm going to steal your crossing off dates on the calendar thing for my own writing. I need something tangible like that to keep me motivated.

    ReplyDelete