It’s Friday night at the end of a lazy week. I’m not usually clamoring to go out, but I almost have a touch of cabin fever. We had dinner reservations for tonight, but in a wave of money-guilt (and still feeling full from Christmas-all-day-cinnamon-rolls) I cancelled the reservation.
As two people who are together making just enough to get by in this city, we always face the weekend dilemma of having fun vs. not spending any money. What do people do for fun….for free? On an average weekend night, we’ll go back and forth, and finally end on a carton of ice cream from the nearby bodega and a movie at home. Or, like the true book-nerds we are, we’ll lay on the couch and read books.
I am always amazed by the way that a day facing a computer screen can just pass in a daze. I was the only one in the office today, and as I do most days, I stared at a computer and typed things. I spoke a handful of words all day to the cleaning assistant when she stopped by to empty garbage cans. The day felt like a blink or a dream. I hate days like that, days that pass by as if you haven’t lived them.
But the good news is that the night has just begun, I have a drink in one hand and soon a book in the other, and soon J will get home and will (hopefully, but probably not) be full of good ideas of what we can do for fun tonight. And Aretha’s Gold is blasting on the speakers, which makes just about everything right.
No comments:
Post a Comment