Friday, December 19, 2014

healing tea.

As is usual, I’m sitting facing the blank screen with what feels like a blank head.

This past week and my attempts to write twice each day haven’t felt exhausting, per se, but the interesting, cultural, thoughtful parts of my life feel a bit quiet lately. What else does one write about besides experience - things seen heard touched felt read watched listened to?

My body has a way of shutting down after a long week, and true to form, halfway through the day, the hint of a sore throat appeared. I’d already logged enough hours this week that I could come home a bit early. And I love being at home when the light is rising and falling. There’s something comforting in the sunrise and sunset from inside your home. I’m turning lights on one by one, lighting a few candles here and there. Long shadows are laying against the brick buildings that surround our apartment.

I could hustle up a to do list, clean out the refrigerator, scrub the (shamefully) dirty bathroom, do a load of laundry when our building is empty and the machine is free. But I’m not. Instead I’m simmering a pot of my cold-fighting tea and getting a book out, although I may just take a late afternoon nap. Here’s to the weekend and to rest.

I may have given this recipe here before, but just in case you're feeling a bit under the weather too:

Healing Tea

1 big nub of ginger cut into slices
1 lemon cut into slices
1 cinnamon stick
1 steeper-full of peppermint tea (or a tea bag)
honey

Put everything but the honey in a sauce pan with plenty of water. Simmer it over medium-low heat until it looks dark and gingery. Strain some into a mug, stir in a spoonful of honey, and drink.

No comments:

Post a Comment