Sunday, December 28, 2014

some piece of gold.

How little can I write and call it a post?

That’s my thought while I’m eating my oatmeal and drinking my coffee and sitting on the couch with wet hair pressed against the back of my neck.

Followed closely by: Who cares?

Do you want to know what I was really thinking about this morning? We had a full-length mirror propped against a wall in our bedroom, and a few weeks ago I moved it and managed to crack it down the middle. So yesterday, we finally got around to picking up a new mirror, a cheap one from Target. It’s the sort of funhouse mirror that makes you look tall and thin. And this morning, while getting dressed, while fully aware of the illusion, I still felt a boost of confidence. I caught myself thinking, I look good.

Which got me to thinking about how my entire day is so often, so easily, shaped by what I see in the mirror in the morning. I know that I have the power to shape my world through my perspective. And it all lies within my own control.

By the way, I’m firmly holding to my belief that the more bullshit writing I wade through, the more I force myself to sit and just write whatever is in my head, the more I show up when I don’t want to, the more likely I will uncover some piece of gold. I’m not expecting a breakthrough or for it to suddenly become easy, but when I sift through it all, I might find something worth keeping.

And in the process, I build up my tolerance for discomfort, my ability to say to myself, Shut up with the excuses and just write.

No comments:

Post a Comment