In April of this year, I started riding my bike to work every day. I had bought a used bike months earlier and it sat, patiently chained to our front steps, waiting for me to work up the nerve to ride it in the city (see #21). I can’t remember what exactly gave me the push, but J did a practice ride with me one weekend, and the following Monday, I did it.
Like most things we’re afraid of (at least for me) the anticipation is far worse than actually living out the thing you feared. For the first few weeks, I had to swallow down the lumps of anxiety before heading out the door. I caught myself lying in bed at night, obsessing over how I would change lanes in that one tricky spot around the park or what would happen if I hit a pothole in the dark and wiped out. But in the moment, riding my bike every day, passing car after car stuck in traffic, is the most liberating and exciting part of my day.
This sums it all up.
In other notes, if you were ever a fan of the Dear Sugar columns, back before we even knew who was writing them, then GET THIS NOW NOW NOW. Cheryl Strayed and Steve Almond (the original Sugar!) are hosting a Dear Sugar Radio Hour. I listened to the first episode after work on Friday and it was the perfect start to the weekend.
But the weekend is over, and its Tuesday morning now, and the week marches on.
No comments:
Post a Comment