I’m listening to records today while J is at work and the cookie dough is chilling in the refrigerator and the rosemary simple syrup is steeping on the stove. It feels at once trite (so hipster of me!) and honest.
I find meditation in the ways that work for me. One way is building rituals around art and creative acts. Another is doing things that connect my body to my head, because I’m the sort of person who finds those two things very easily separated. That’s also why I chose to get on my bike in the rain at 7:30am this morning to buy more coffee creamer and lemons and eggnog for the cinnamon rolls we’re having for breakfast tomorrow. So whether its the act of pedaling and feeling my sleeping leg muscles crank into life and feeling cold drops of rain on my ankles and the back of my neck or whether its the act of placing a wheel of vinyl on a turntable and watching the needle touch the groves and feeling the scratches and life in my own bones, these things connect me to myself and to the earth.
It’s gray and quiet today and I’m going to decorate some cookies and listen to more records and I’m going to finish that book that I said that I’d finish last night. This life is good.
No comments:
Post a Comment